To be a #GIRLBOSS - 5 Things I've learnt + a book review

Sunday, August 09, 2015

To be a #GIRLBOSS - 5 Things I've learnt + a book review

"A #GIRLBOSS is in charge of her own life. She gets what she wants because she works for it"


I've recently finished reading the book #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso, founder and CEO of fashion retailer 'Nasty Gal', and after the first chapter knew I wanted to share the book with you guys. Before reading this book, I had some knowledge on Sophia Amoruso because as someone who intends on being an entrepreneur, I like to read up on successful and young female entrepreneurs to gain my knowledge and help assimilate the skills I may need later on in my career. Reading it 'changed my life' or rather supercharged my current mindset with regards to working hard to getting where I want to be.

I've decided to do a mini review so answer some general questions on the book as someone suggested it but the main focus on this blog post was to share 5 of the key things I've learnt from it. When I say on nearly every page I learnt something new, best believe it, but in order to not bore you on the things that I gathered which could be subjective just buy the book lmao.

5 things I learnt from #GIRLBOSS

1) "Abandon anything about your life and habits that might be holding you back. Learn to create your own opportunities."

So many people depend on other people creating opportunities for them or put down their lack of a success due to external (situational factors if u do pyschology lol) versus internal factors such as laziness or lack of skill.
Recently I've come to terms with the fact that not everyone or everything in my life is contributing to it in a positive way. I am learning to abandon bad habits, for example I have a habit of procrastinating hence why I'm always randomly uploading posts. I'm not a person to sit and wait for people to do things for me but now I'm making a conscious effort to be in control of my life.

2)"You don't have to choose between smart and sexy"


This 'lesson' was so nice to hear from someone in suchhh a high position as Sophia. This idea of a woman not being able to be sexy and smart at the same time is a ridiculous, chauvinistic, ignorance fuelled claim that honestly needs to die. 
Because I chose to spend time on my appearance and make myself look and feel good, I have always had people doubt my intelligence or come at me with the 'bimbo' bullshit. Unfortunately we live in a society where a lot of people automatically assume you're either or.
This quote reminded me of the power having both holds. Sex sells doesn't it? And brains can get you far, so imagine combining the both of those together? Now think about it..

3)"Knowing your customer and knowing how to get free marketing"

This is more of something business buillding versus character building, but important all the same. The quote is self explanatory but this taught me that having a good social media presence is important and can really contribute to a businesses success.

4) "When your time spent making money is significantly greater than your time spent spending money, you will be amazed at how much you can save"

It's not everyday image gang. Sometimes stack your money in silence and focus on working and saving. I am quite good at saving, however I have a bad habit of using the money I'm allowed to spend, on things like food.. which is not a worthwhile investment at all 😭.  A quote that I think needs framing is "money looks better in the bank than on your feet".

5) "Treat your thoughts like dollar bills: don't waste 'em"

This ties into the negativity post I previously did (read HERE) but its a funner way to think of it aha. Don't waste precious time or thoughts where they're not needed. Speaking things into existence works BOTH WAYS. So when all you do is think about so and so, don't complain when so and so becomes very local.

QUICK REVIEW

How would you describe this book?
Not necessarily a self help book on how to run a business . Because of Sophia's writing style, the book seems like you're receiving advice from an older sister or a mentor. She's encouraging the reader to be more creative, to aim for higher, to want to work hard and to take chances. It's like an advice book and her story all in one.

Who is it aimed for?
Self motivated people: This book doesn't spoon feed you - you need to have an existing motivation and this book is kinda like that final kick up the arse. Also, It isn't just for girls despite what the title may suggest lol

Things I liked
- the honesty
- every chapter begins with a relevant quote, with several embedded and I like quotes
-the style of her writing
- the broadness of topics she covers

Things I disliked

- there were some bits were the story bits about her life get long to read



I read a lot so if you guys like this type of thing let me know and I'll make it a regular thing!!




x x x

0 comments